The Bulgarian may be the Barclays Premier League's top marksman, but he is full of admiration for the England international.
Berbatov has already plundered 19 goals this season, taking him to the top of the scoring charts.
He was, however, dropped to the bench by Sir Alex Ferguson on Saturday as the Red Devils claimed a 2-1 derby victory over Manchester City.
Rooney, who grabbed a spectacular winner, was given the nod instead, with Ferguson favouring his work rate over Berbatov's creative talents.
BEST FORWARD
The Bulgarian international though has no problem with the rotation policy at Old Trafford, as he believes Rooney is the most complete frontman in England.
"When you consider all the attributes forwards need, Wayne is number one in my opinion," said Berbatov.
"He's the best forward I've ever played with.
"But everything's going well for me this season and if we can win the title it will be even better.
"That's my main wish. If, in May, we've won the title and I'm there to lift it, then it would be a personal best for me.
"I'd love to do that for the manager, who's been here almost 25 years, as well as my team-mates and the fans.
"My ambitions have always been high, so I'll try and score another 20 by the end of the season."